- 2014 Rancho Boa Vista Vineyard Syrah
Rancho Boa Vista is a certified organically farmed, 10 acre vineyard in the Ballard Canyon AVA. Rancho Boa Vista is unique as a site because the lower section of the vineyard (where the grenache is planted) is almost entirely sand. Meanwhile, the upper blocks (where this Syrah comes from) are planted in a shale that’s mixed through clay loam.
Ballard Canyon has gained renown for its success with Syrah. The deliciousness of the wines that come from this stretch or road in Santa Barbara County is due in large part to the Fog that enters Ballard Canyon from its Southern opening along the East-West running Santa Ynez Valley, which is open to the ocean. The Santa Ynez Valley’s unusual orientation pulls maritime wind inland across the extended Santa Ynez Valley every afternoon + fog every evening. As the fog fills the Valley it rolls into Ballard Canyon settling into it at night, then burning off the Northern portions first thing in the morning + the Southern parts around 9 or 10AM.
In the winery, we de-stemmed 75% of the fruit leaving 25% of the clusters in the fermentation. We left the fermentation on skins for about three weeks and pumped over once daily. The wine was pressed at dryness, and aged in neutral and 2 year old French oak for 18 months before bottling. The resulting wine is simultaneously rich and fresh with blackberry / blueberry fruit, graphite, and smoked meat characters.